23 February, 2012

{this memory} 39

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

You're in Virginia - as was I when I shot this image. More specifically you're at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville where I spent four of the most enjoyable years of my life in the late 1960s.

What is shown is the lower garden behind Pavilion I on the Lawn of the University. Immediately to my right would be what Mr. Jefferson called Hotel A which today houses the offices of The Virginia Quarterly Review. The simple geometric design of the Hotel Garden is typical of Jefferson's period, with border rows of fruit trees and rectilinear beds once used for vegetables and herbs.

To my left would be the University Chapel. Straight ahead through the trees you can just make out the west side of the Rotunda. Behind me is the Alderman Library. Also off to my right was by brother's room when he was a graduate student at the University. His room - 3 West Range - was only as few doors down from the room in which Poe is said to have lived. I often stopped by to see my brother on my way to or from class.

Te serpentine walls were a design of Mr. Jefferson which allowed him to construct sturdy walls that were only one brick thick, thus saving a good deal of money and labor.

This particular photo I took last spring when I attended a fraternity reunion. I never miss an opportunity to return to Charlottesville

So many wonderful memories. I am truly a fortunate man.
TGB