09 February, 2012

{this memory} 37

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

You're in France - as was I when I shot this image. My younger daughter and I were on a whirlwind tour. We had arrived in Paris via early train from Amsterdam. We ditched our bags and jumped aboard another train for Amboise, just east of Tours.

We arrived there easily enough and headed out on foot for Château d'Amboise. It wasn't a long walk, but it was at least 90˚F under a blazing sun. That 3/4 of a mile seemed to go on forever, but we made it.

After climbing the road into the Chateau we reached our goal. Built on a promontory overlooking the Loire River, it was favorite residence of many French kings. Leonardo is buried in the Chapel of Saint-Hubert, built in 1491–96 adjoining the Château. His tomb is inside, and that chapel is the focus of the image. As a guest of the King, Leonardo da Vinci came to Château in December 1515 and lived and worked in the nearby Clos Lucé, connected to the château by an underground passage. We came to see Leonardo and to honor his genius.

My daughter and I survived and made it back to Paris in time for a pleasant dinner and a good night's sleep before heading off to London the next day. So many wonderful memories. I am truly a fortunate man.
TGB