03 May, 2012

{this memory} 49

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

You're in Central New York - in the basement of my brother-in-law's home, to be precise.

What you're looking at is a hand-made fire truck -- hand-made by moi over 30 years ago for my nephew. This was before I had children and before I lost the use of my left hand. I got the design from Mother Earth News and decided to fabricate the toy as a Christmas present for him. A couple of years ago I asked to see it so I could photograph it.

His father, by the way, was a fire fighter. Today he is about to retire as deputy chief. My nephew has become a police officer and has a son of his own.

I didn't stop there. In other years, I made a dump truck and a train for him. I particularly liked the truck wheels which I made by cutting sections of tree limb and then rounding them a bit - all with a radial arm saw!

So many wonderful memories - I am a fortunate man.
TGB