10 May, 2012

{this memory} 50

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

You're in Maine - on the coast, obviously. To be precise - Mt. Desert Island and Acadia National Park. It was a favorite spot when I was in graduate school at Orono and only about 30 miles from school. An easy drive.

What you're looking at - other than my hands - is Miss Bo Jangles, not Lassie. I had two dogs then. The elder was Dixie, a small mixed-breed rescue dog acquired with benevolence aforethought. This purebred collie was purchased from a mall pet store after a dinner during which I probably drank too much wine. Accidents happen - which is not to say Bo wasn't equally loved.

I didn't have her as long as Dixie who was with me from 1972 to 1989, but she was with me for a few years (1973-1976) as we camped and cross country skiied all over Maine and then Central New York. We had a ball - except for maybe that time I threw her in Moosehead Lake. Who knew all that hair would act like a sponge?! I got her out in time though.

And that nose! Even she didn't realize how long it was. She used to bang it on things as she turned around. I also remember the time she lit out after a rabbit on a friend's farm in Luray, Virginia. She was gaining on it until it disappeared through the fence, and it was all she could do to stop in time before she crashed into it. Who knows what woulds have happened if she caught it. I try not to imagine it.

She was a good dog. I miss her.

So many wonderful memories - I am a fortunate man.
TGB