26 July, 2012

{this memory} 59

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

Canastota, New York - in the living room of a small A-frame I rented for a year, my first year as a professor. The little girl is Genie, my goddaughter. Her father was one of my best friends from high school, and her mom joined our circle sometime during college although we all went to different universities.

This was in the winter of 1975-76, and the trio had come for a visit. Lots of prompts here. The coffee table was an antique oak round dining table that my father had shortened and refinished. The coffee mugs were purchased from a favorite potter while I was in graduate school in Maine. Betsy's laughter was everpresent and most infectious. Charlie, the engineer, is clearly giving way to much thought to the construction of the Mouse Trap. My two dogs are nowhere in sight - probably banished for interfering in the game.

I still have the 8 foot toboggan I purchased so we could all fly down the hill across the street. We did, and I think we all may still have bruises.

So many wonderful memories - I am a fortunate man.
TGB