25 July, 2013

{this memory} 86

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

They had never met, these four cousins. When my grandmother passed away in Virginia Beach in 1991, there was a gathering of the clan. I saw again cousins I had not seen in decades.

One of those Texas cousins was my age and was the one with whom I had been closest. In the years since we played together, we both graduated from college, we both married, and we both fathered two daughters.

Cue eerie music. His younger daughter Megan is the same age as my younger daughter Megan. His older daughter Amy is the same age as my older daughter Amy. This amazing coincidence somehow happened without our knowing about each others' lives. In this photo, left to right, we see Cousin Megan, Cousin Amy, Daughter Megan, and Daughter Amy.

You can see me with my cousins and grandparents in in {this moment 1} and {this memory} 1 and grandmother in {this moment} 84 and {this memory} 84.

I am a fortunate man. Life is good.
TGB