17 January, 2014

Finn's Feet

Twenty-two months ago in my very first post about my new grandson, The Mighty Finn, I wrote "Of course, now I have to live up to his expectations, and I'll try my best to do so."

That's the trick. I do want him to be proud of me. I know it seems like we usually say it the other way round, but I think this makes more sense. But ... that's not the only expectation.

Recently I received this from him.


And then there was the text that accompanied his footprints.

     "Walk a little slower, grandpa," said a little child so small.
     I'm following in your footsteps, and I don't want to fall."

     "Sometimes your steps are very fast; sometimes they're hard to see.
     So walk a little slower, grandpa, for you are leading me.

     "Someday when I am all grown up, you're what I want to be.
     By then I'll have a little child who'll want to follow me.

     "And I would want to lead just right and know that I was true.
     So walk a little slower, grandpa, for I must follow you."

Deep breath.
TGB