16 January, 2014

{this memory} 102

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

I know them well although only one is still living.

On the left is the Reverend Glenn Rorie, my uncle and a namesake. On his left is his younger sister, Mary Alice Rorie Brown and my mother; she is still going strong at almost 94. Then comes their mother, my grandmother Amy Alice Galloway Rorie (111 years old but died at 98). And then there is my grandfather, the Reverend Thomas Oliver Rorie, Sr. and my other namesake. He died at 85 but would be 114 today.

Who would have thought I'd be named after two Methodist ministers?! Someone has a sense of humor.

I have no specific memories attached to this photo. It is from the early 1950s and looks to be in front of the parsonage in Shreveport, Louisiana. Mostly it's a chance to remember these four and the roles they played in my life. Each had a positive influence on me but in very different ways.

I am a fortunate man. Life's been good to me so far.
TGB