19 September, 2013

{this memory} 92

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

Look at that face! If that doesn't scream "what a beautiful day," I don't know what would. That child is literally soaking up the sunshine. "That child" is my older daughter in the summer of 1984 - so she was about three.

She is in front of the Alumni Hall residence hall at Utica College. We had sold our home in May and were beginning construction on a new home. Well, we thought we were. As it turned out we didn't dig the foundation until October. We lived in one of the three bedroom units on campus for the summer. It was great being able to walk to work, but in August we had to vacate. We moved in with my mother-in-law - crowded but we got along very well.

I faced many a long day. I would work a the college all day, get a bite to eat, then go work on the new home until 11:00 or midnight, and finally collapse into bed after checking on my daughters. There were some very cold nights that winter, but I finally finished. We moved in on July 1, 1985.

So when I look at this image, I'm reminded of all that. Especially though, I treasure that happy face on my daughter.

I am a fortunate man. Life's been good to me so far.
TGB