03 October, 2014

{this memory: then and now} 5

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment: then and now}.


On the left is my great-grandmother - my father's mother's mother - and namesake, Amy Galloway, likely in her late teens or early twenties. She was born at the end of the 19th century but was college-educated. I once read a letter that her mother sent her during her first semester of college, concerned about whether Amy's fashions were sufficiently in vogue and in line with what the other young women were wearing. My great-great-grandmother also informed Amy that "Mr. Rorie" (my future great-grandfather) had sent a gift for her, a beautiful new camera. On the right is me at age 23, dressed up to go to church on Christmas Eve. I didn't pull off the elaborate hairstyle, but the back of my dress is similar.


No comments:

Post a Comment