19 November, 2013

The Power Of A Simple Gesture

This video has been around for a while, and I, as did many, passed it along to my FB friends. Yet I find myself returning to it for more viewings. It moves me.

The company that produced it says "This short film illustrates the power of words to radically change your message and your effect upon the world." I think it does a lot more than that.

Maybe it's the caring for a stranger that is portrayed. Maybe it's the simplicity of a gesture that can still make a real difference in someone's life. Maybe I just like a good story. I don't know, but it moves me enough to want to post it here. Although my preference would be that no one need help at all, should the opportunity arise, I hope I am able to help, to share a cup of kindness. And my cup runneth over.

That will be my thought for now, and in the future that thought will sustain me and make me happy. I hope it strikes you the same way and encourages you to make a gesture - however simple - that will help a fellow traveler on the Journey. Blanche DuBois may have always depended upon the kindliness of strangers, but that was in the 1940s. Today's world is colder, and there are many for whom a bit of kindness could make a significant difference.

In spite of the snippets of misfortune that life has occasionally thrown my way, I am profoundly rich and have much for which to be thankful. That bounty needs to be shared. I believe each act of kindness I share encourages further acts of kindness in the same way that ripples propagate and interact as they steadily expand. One simple gesture can work wonders.
TGB