10 August, 2012

When I'm 64

That's today. Two and a half hours into the tenth of August in the year 1948, I took my first breaths. When I was ten, Paul McCartney wrote this song for me saying I would grow into it. Two minutes and thirty-seven seconds of genius. That's all.

Although Lennon gets a bit of credit too for some reason, it's really Paul's song. He wrote it when he was just 16. The Beatles released it much later on their 1967 album, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

     When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now
     Will you still be sending me a valentine,
          birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
     If I'd been out 'til quarter to three, would you lock the door?
     Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

     You'll be older too
     Ah, and if you say the word, I could stay with you

     I could be handy, mending a fuse when your lights have gone
     You can knit a sweater by the fireside,
          Sunday mornings, go for a ride
     Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
     Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

     Every summer we can rent a cottage
     In the Isle of Wight if it's not to, dear
     We shall scrimp and save
     Ah, grandchildren on your knee, Vera, Chuck and Dave

     Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view
     Indicate precisely what you mean to say,
          yours sincerely wasting away
     Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more
     Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?


I embedding this cover rather than a Beatles ripoff because it's so well done. Enjoy, and here's what the performer says:

"Just as was done on the original recording, I performed the song in the key of C and then sped up the final mix by approximately a half-step. I'm playing and singing all the parts. What you see in this video are the actual performances as I recorded them. There is no "lip-syncing" or miming."