09 October, 2013

To Die For

Well actually that should be "To Die From." I came across some statistics that gave me pause - mostly because the methodology was unclear. So ... I wasn't sure what they meant. For instance, lightning. Does that mean your odds of being struck are 1 in 10,000 or for every 10,000 people who die, one death is attributed to lightning. I don't know.

Being fatally attacked by a shark: less than 1 in 264,000,000
Not worth worrying about, but if it still bothers you, don't go in the water; after all, it's not like it's going to rain sharks. Wait ...

Dying in an earthquake: 1 in 97,807
Unlikely but perhaps worth a thought - if you're in one of those "zones."

Being struck by lightning: 1 in 10,000
Still not too worried.

Dying in a plane crash: 1 in 7,178
Nope, doesn't bother me, although I prefer the train - but not out of fear.

Dying in a fire: 1 in 1,344
Sounds like a terrible way to go.

Drowning: 1 in 1,103
This does scare me. I can't swim, but I do like boating.

Dying in a car accident: 1 in 98
Now we're talking. Driving or riding isn't safe, and the drive to the airport is much more dangerous than the flight.

Dying from cancer: 1 in 7
Sigh.

What I'd really like to know is whether I need to fear being killed by aliens. If so, I'm going take making that aluminum foil hat much more seriously.
TGB