17 January, 2013

{this memory} 71

This is the story behind last Monday's {this moment}.

Daddy - gone but certainly not forgotten.

I don't recall this occasion, but this photo was taken around 1953. I would have been four or five. At that time, we lived on Naval Station Norfolk, and this was in the quarters assigned to my father as Executive Officer of Camp Allen, the on-shore brig for the Atlantic Fleet.

This looks to be an early summer's evening - warm enough to have the windows wide open but still light enough to see the neighboring quarters about 100 feet away.

I loved the years I lived on that base, and I found all kinds of little boy ways to get into trouble. I was, as they say, an expert, but we'll save those anecdotes for another post. Looking at this image reminds me of how proud I was of my father and how much I loved him.

I am filled with wonderful memories and am a most fortunate man.
TGB